The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston (MFAH) is an organization comprised of 600+ employees and 1,000+ docents and volunteers. The museum is more than 100 years old and ranks nationally among the top 10 art museums in terms of exhibition space, memberships, endowments, and attendance, with 1M visitors annually. Our multifaceted institution includes multiple gallery buildings, a sculpture garden, two art schools, three eateries and two-house museums for decorative arts. The encyclopedic collection numbers more than 70,000 works of art in a wide range of media. As an employer, MFAH offers a supportive, collegial, and inclusive work environment and a competitive benefits package.
We are currently seeking to hire an Assistant Membership Manager, Audience Strategy. In this role, you will report to the Membership Manager and your primary objective will be to contribute to the department’s revenue and membership household goals. You will create and implement key strategies to increase member visitation through regular timely communication, strengthen renewal rates of current members, and develop fresh ways to grow member households through in-house acquisition efforts. In addition, you will manage in-house renewal efforts (e-renewals and select mailings), e-acquisition campaigns, select communications, and event reminders specific to members. You will work closely with the Membership Manager, Member Experience Manager, the Museum’s CRM Team, and Marketing Department, as well as direct marketing consultants. The selected candidate will also be responsible for related reporting and data management tasks, and for providing administrative and project support for the Membership Department.
- Assist in developing strategies related to direct marketing campaigns for the acquisition, growth, and retention of members, including but not limited to direct mail, email, digital advertising, social media, telemarketing, SMS, and other channels
- Serve as the primary membership content editor who builds and publishes emails to members and member prospects in the Museum’s email platform Prospect2: renewals, acquisitions, upgrades, and gift memberships; pre/post visit communications; new member onboarding series; occasional surveys; and other emails as assigned
- Maintain membership web pages and updates content to keep it fresh and accurate, and monitors performance through Google Analytics
- Maintain and update regular reporting to track and monitor performance of email campaigns
- Initiate and develop with IT custom landing pages (one-page giving forms) and custom email confirmations
- Assist Membership Manager with renewals program
- Assist Membership Manager with new member acquisition campaigns
- Assist Membership Manager with upgrade campaigns
- Maintain successful and productive relationships with colleagues across the Museum, ensuring that projects are completed on time and to budget
- Manage member communication content and timing with Marketing
- Adhere to processes for utilizing Museum’s e-mail platform (Prospect2), which integrates with its CRM, Tessitura
- Support the Membership team with data management tasks by performing basic and regular list building and list management functions in Tessitura
- Assist with proofreading acquisition, renewal, group visit, and other electronic and printed materials to ensure aligned messaging
- Provide the Membership Department with administrative and project support as needed
- Perform other duties or special projects as assigned
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Must be highly curious, organized, detail-oriented, and able to complete tasks in a timely manner
- Proficiency with customer relationship management software (CRM); Tessitura experience a plus
- Proficiency in email platform (Prospect 2) and web content platforms, and Google Analytics
- Familiar with reporting tools
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to create and maintain effective and cooperative work relationships
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Advertising, or a related field will be highly preferred OR an equivalent combination of experience and education from which comparable and demonstrable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved
- Prior experience in direct marketing, membership, or subscription sales
- Familiarity with email service providers and web content management systems is preferred
- Experience in Tessitura or other CRM
- Experience in Prospect2 or other email marketing platform; automation a plus
- 3-5 years of related work experience
Special Note to Applicants: When applying for this role, please include a cover letter, resume, and if you prefer, a list of references will be accepted but not required at this early stage in the process.
At the MFAH, we believe that diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusivity are fundamental to our organization. We welcome all candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our organization and our pledge for workplace diversity, inclusion, and excellence. Our commitment to our policy and practice of nondiscrimination represents more than good intentions. It provides for employment decisions that are made without regard to race, creed, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, genetic information, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law or any other reason unrelated to your ability to join and contribute to our organization and support our mission to provide a museum experience for all. Research shows that women and individuals from underrepresented backgrounds often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that an applicant meets 100% of the qualifications for a given role. Therefore, if much of this job description describes you, then you are highly encouraged to apply for this role. The MFAH is equally committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals interested in employment with the organization. As part of this commitment, we want to ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation needed to 1) participate in the job application or 2) interview process; 3) perform essential job functions; and/or 4) participate in the benefits and privileges of employment with the MFAH. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact the human resources department: HR@mfah.org.