Boasting a 300-acre tree-lined campus in Houston, Rice University is ranked among the nation’s top 20 universities by U.S. News & World Report. Rice has a 6-to-1 undergraduate student-to-faculty ratio, and a residential college system, which supports students intellectually, emotionally, and culturally through social events, intramural sports, student plays, lectures series, courses, and student government. Developing close-knit, diverse college communities is a strong campus tradition, which is why Rice is highly ranked for best quality of life and best value among private universities.
We are currently seeking to hire a Graphic Designer. In this role, (under the supervision of the Executive Director, DAR Communications and Marketing), you will develop and implement creative design strategies for Rice’s Development and Alumni Relations division.
You will design print communications such as direct mail solicitations, invitations, brochures and newsletters, as well as digital communications including webpages, emails, social media campaigns and video graphics. You will also help develop communication plans and strategies, stays abreast of best practices and trends, attends and/or advises on press checks, and helps ensure the high quality and visual consistency of marketing materials produced by the Development and Alumni Relations division. The selected candidate will work closely with campus partners, including Rice’s Public Affairs division, to represent and promote Rice University’s brand.
- Design and produces in-house communications materials
- Compile and/or prepare complex illustrations, photos, and pictures for graphic design assignments
- Maintain the visual quality, consistency and tone of all print and web material, ensuring that content is fresh and follows best practices
- Serve as a catalyst for creative thought, project timeliness, and completion
- Provides art direction and takes photos for quick-turnaround communication pieces
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- Oversight of budget and cost control pertaining to individual print projects
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Two years of related experience, including graphic design for print and web communications
- Demonstrated understanding of graphic design principles, and expertise in Adobe creative Suite, including Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign for PC
- Ability to design and produce quick turnaround print materials
- Basic proficiency in writing, editing, and proofing, with knowledge of grammar and punctuation
- Ability to understand materials of moderate complexity and synthesize across multiple sources to produce materials for diverse audiences
- Firm understanding of web technologies and applications, including social networking, social media tools, and current communication trends
- Highly versatile and organized creative professional who is able to work collaboratively with a team of writers, designers, web and social media staff, and production managers to effectively engage Rice’s constituents in the life of the university
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple deadlines
- Excellent time management skills
- Experience providing art direction to photographers, videographers and other vendors is preferred
- Experience working collaboratively and leading creative projects, including pitching concepts to clients/partners is preferred
- Ample experience designing in a variety of web formats, including, but not limited to, mobile responsive and parallax websites, a variety of social formats, emails, etc. is preferred
- Experience with film editing and production and motion graphics illustration is preferred
- Experience using and working with database information systems is preferred
- Ability to take high-quality photographs, including individual portraits, studio shots, candid, and event photos, etc. is preferred
- Ability to develop and implement creative social media marketing strategies is preferred
- Design for the web with knowledge of UX/UI and accessibility best practices is preferred
- Ability to use CMS systems to create webpages and knowledge of basic HTML is preferred
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.