Stages makes plays and tells stories that invite everyone to live more deeply and love more boldly. We produce a broad scope of plays and musicals ranging from jukebox musicals and family entertainment to world premieres and new work by emerging writers.
Stages was founded in 1978 and we’ve grown to become Houston’s sixth largest nonprofit performing arts producer and the largest outside the downtown theater district. We perform year-round with an average of 10 productions and thousands of visitors each season. In January 2020, we opened our new $35.4 million three-theater home, The Gordy. We’re a welcoming, collaborative culture that encourages each staff member to take initiative, share ideas and help shape the organization.
We are currently seeking to hire a Marketing Director, which is a key role in our organizational infrastructure and a member of the Management Team. In this role, you will provide overall leadership and strategic direction for all sales and audience development, including subscriptions and single tickets. As the curator of our brand and public image, you will be keenly aware of Stages’ positioning in our market and our industry. You will focus on ticket sales revenue and transformational growth of audiences, while retaining and deepening relationships with current patrons. In addition, you will develop and execute strategies to activate audiences while leading through the lens of anti-racism and anti-oppression.
The selected candidate will report to the Managing Director and your direct reports include the Marketing Manager, Graphic Design Lead, Patron Experience Manager, Patron Systems. and Benefits Manager. The salary range for this role is $75,000- $93,000, and benefits include Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays/Days of Celebration, Matched Retirement Plan, Disability and Life insurance, Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance.
- Drive the organization toward achieving ticket sales revenue and transformational growth of audiences including continued expansion of subscription and single ticket audiences, as well as increased diversity to reflect the community demographics of Houston
- Manage and inspire the Marketing Team and Patron Experience Team, leveraging their strengths and skills to the organization’s best advantage
- Ensure marketing initiatives and resources are designed and allocated to achieve budgeted earned revenue goals and strong ROI
Manage the operating budget for marketing and sales
- Develop comprehensive annual marketing strategies as well as plans that support single ticket sales for each production
Be the keeper and curator of the Stages brand in visual, written, and other mediums
- Expand programs to foster patron loyalty from first-time ticket buyers
- Create positive relationships with our partners and vendors to maximize the marketing budget as well as meet objectives for growth
- In partnership with our Public Relations firm, ensure Stage’s is talked about locally and nationally so that our Houston reputation grows as well as earn consistent editorial coverage and reviews for productions
- Collaborate with the Artistic Director and Managing Director to effectively communicate the shared vision for Stages
- Foster a team spirit that focuses on opportunity and growth of our organization while delivering the highest level of customer care to patrons; oversee the collection and analysis of customer feedback
- Serve as a member of the Stages Management Team, tackling organizational challenges and setting the long-term course of the theater
- Other duties, as assigned
- Love telling stories
- Goal oriented and independently driven
- Zealous about spreadsheets and are knowledgeable about how to grow sales and revenue
- Enjoy building relationships and thrive in a team setting
- Envision the role of a leader as one of service, guiding your team to their greatest potential
- Deeply committed and an enthusiastic advocate for performing arts and understand to your core the importance of creating community
- Passionate about the guest experience and you’re driven to help your team create a dynamic customer experience
- Curious about the artistic process and are driven to support artists in their endeavors
- Invested in creating spaces that are anti-racist and anti-oppression
- Experience with ticket sales in the performing arts, sports, or any “butts-in-seats” business
- Data driven and you know how to leverage data to create a successful marketing plan
- Positive, customer-focused approach
- Extraordinary organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience juggling concurrent tasks and deadlines while maintaining quality and focus
- Ambition for achieving goals
- Strategic, Flexible and Curious Thinker
- Strong writing, communication, and visual branding skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Highly ethical conduct and strong emotional intelligence
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse teams
- Demonstrated track record of audience growth and marketing successes is a plus
- Experience training, leading, and managing a team is a plus
- Experience with budget management
- Degree in arts administration, marketing, business, or nonprofit leadership
Special Note to Applicants: When applying for this role, please note the following process summary. First, send us some information about yourself-please include an introduction to help us understand who you are and why you’re right for this position (e.g., cover letter, email, personal statement, video) as well as anything you think might be helpful to understand your background, experience, and skills. This could include a resume, event materials, writing or other work samples, personal website, LinkedIn profile, etc. If we think you might be a good fit, we’ll contact you to schedule an introductory interview. This conversation will help us learn about you, share more about the job and Stages, and answer your initial questions. From there, we may also invite you to talk with other staff members from positions across the organization so that you have an opportunity to explore Stages’ culture and work environment, and we can get a sense of what you’ll bring to the team.
Stages is committed to advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are committed to creating and maintaining a safe creative environment for staff, artists, and our community. We know that through discussion and expression we can continue to promote change in a positive direction. We believe that diversity on and off stage is important. We are committed to bridging cultural gaps and creating an environment of inclusion and equity for all. It is our intent to provide equal opportunities to all who may apply. We welcome every race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic makeup, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status and thinking style.