National Oilwell Varco (NOV) is a leading provider of technology, equipment, and services to the global oil and gas industry that supports customers’ full-field drilling, completion, and production needs. Since 1862, NOV has pioneered innovations that improve the cost-effectiveness, efficiency, safety, and environmental impact of oil and gas operations.
NOV Rig Technologies makes and supports the world’s most advanced drilling solutions. With a long history of manufacturing advanced drilling equipment packages think top drives, iron roughnecks, draw works, BOPs, and risers—as well as complete land rigs, we’re constantly working to solve our customers’ operational challenges. We’re designing new technology and robotics that deliver increased automation; expanding our training offerings to help our partners close the industry’s generational gap; and developing smarter, more advanced drilling solutions for all types of land and offshore environments.
We’re continually pushing our own standards higher to deliver the safest, most efficient, and most reliable drilling solutions in the world. Join us as we continue to power the industry that powers the world. We are currently seeking to hire a qualified Technical Writer to support our Houston office. In this role, you will research, organize, write, and edit technical manuals and related documents in a manner that the user can understand.
- Research technical data and develop procedures through interviews, on-site visits and production observations
- Organize and research available data, write technical manuscripts from the data including procedures and parts lists
- Determine illustration needs and recommend content to illustrators
- Assist in proofing and editing technical publications of other writers for conformance to style and format
- Meet with other writers to determine project assignments and report project status
- Schedule and conduct review meetings for approval of new or revised publications before final version is released
- Assist in the development and revision of style guides that meet the specific needs of NOV products
- Perform other work-related tasks as assigned
- Comply with all NOV Company and HSE policies and procedures
- Provide documentation assistance to management and product engineering as necessary
- Proactively and promptly address documentation concerns of management and product engineering
- Collaborate with multiple engineering groups and project stakeholders
- Handle multiple projects effectively
- Actively participate in process improvements both internally and externally
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, technical communication, or professional writing
At least 2 years of technical writing experience
- Able to gather and assess technical documentation to create and update user documentation in compliance with engineering technical input, best practices, and department standards
- Ability to translate highly technical concepts into understandable content for the end user
- Able to determine project scope, budget, execute, and successfully complete assigned projects and deliverables
- Able to balance work volume and quality and appropriately escalate potential risks and issues to management
- Ability to work independently and with a team to publish high-quality technical documentation