2024 Scholarship – Applications
AMA Houston 2024 Penny Todd Scholarship Applications will open December 1, 2023.
The chapter will award up to a $5,000 scholarship scholarship to a Houston-area college student in marketing (or a related) field. Students who graduated from high school or are currently attending college in the greater Houston area may be eligible.
- Have a 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) or greater on a 4.0 scale
- Either be attending college or university in the greater Houston area or have graduated from high school in the greater Houston area.
- Be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate course of study at an accredited 4-year college or university with a declared major in marketing, advertising, graphic arts, media, or a related field of study.
Previous recipients of the Penny Todd Scholarship are not eligible
AMA Houston Penny Todd scholarship(s) will be awarded without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or national origin.
Applicants are solely responsible for gathering and submitting all necessary information. All information submitted is confidential and will be reviewed by a Scholarship Committee appointed by the AMA Houston Penny Todd Scholarship committee chair(s) and AMA Houston executive officers.
Students must submit
- A completed application form that provides contact information, grade point average, related coursework listing, volunteer, extracurricular activities and community involvement.
- A personal statement outlining career goals, reason(s) for selecting marketing, advertising, graphic arts or media as a career, how the scholarship will impact those goals, and what receiving the scholarship would mean to them and their future career. The response may be in written essay format (no more than 750 words) or a video (3-5 minutes).
- A minimum of one (1) recommendation from a qualified adults who is not a family member but can speak with authority to the applicant’s attributes and character. Examples include professors, coaches, club sponsors, administrators or staff, clergy, community leaders, etc.
- Proof of enrollment at an accredited 4-year college or university.
- An official transcript provided by the school in which the applicant completed their last semester of coursework.
- Samples of marketing coursework; for example, a marketing plan or campaign materials developed as part of coursework or through volunteer work. Group projects should be labeled as such, and the applicant’s contributions made clear.
Applications will be reviewed by a judging committee made up of the AMA Houston Executive Committee and officers, Houston area CMOs, and other marketing leaders.
The recipient(s) of the Penny Todd Scholarship will be contacted in May and awarded at the AMA Houston June Luncheon.
Selection & Evaluation Criteria
The Penny Todd Scholarship committee and its judging committee will select the scholarship recipient. All decisions are final. The selection committee may consist of AMA Houston board members, AMA leadership in other chapters, AMA Houston chapter volunteers, marketing leaders, and marketing educators.
Any sitting member of the scholarship committee will refrain from participating in the selection process if there is the potential for a conflict of interest, including personal, professional, or familial relationships.
Scholarships awarded will be based on the scholarship committee selection procedures and available funds.
Scholarship recipients will be selected based on academic achievement, participation in school, community activities, their personal statement, and recommendations. The committee will individually score applications based on an agreed-upon point system. The applicant, or applicants, with the highest scores, win. Not all applicants will receive a scholarship.
Evaluation criteria and weight
School and community involvement (20 pts)
Personal statement (25 pts): please pay attention to grammar and spelling as it may influence the judges’ score.
Academic achievement (30 pts): includes the applicant’s current GPA and relative coursework and coursework samples.
Letter(s) recommendation letters (25 pts)
Payment of Awards
Scholarship payments will be authorized by the Penny Todd Scholarship Committee and processed by the AMA Houston Executive Director. Checks will be made payable to the scholarship recipient’s school or university and specified for use of the recipient identified by name and student ID number.
Obligations Of Scholarship Recipients
Scholarship recipients must be enrolled in their education programs no later than the fall of the year in which their awards are given. Recipients must notify the AMA Houston Executive Director of any changes of address, school enrollment, or other pertinent information relating to the disbursement of scholarship funds.
The general conditions and procedures under which scholarships are made are subject to periodic review by the AMA Houston Board of Directors, including termination of the program.
Ready to Apply?
Stay tuned for updates for 2024!
Congratulations to the 2023 Penny Todd Scholarship Recipient: Andres Vasquez
AMA Houston is pleased to announce the winner of the 2023 Penny Todd Scholarship, Andres Vasquez. We congratulate Andres, graduate of Cypress Creek High School, currently attending the University of Pittsbudgh. We are thrilled that Andres and his parents were able to join us at our August luncheon for a formal presentation and know that he is on his way to great things.