Houston Methodist is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. Houston Methodist consists of eight hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center, and seven community hospitals throughout the greater Houston area. Houston Methodist also includes an academic institute, a comprehensive residency program, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free-standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, Houston Methodist employs more than 27,000 employees and is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide high quality patient care.
We are currently seeking to hire a Senior Editor. In this role, you will be responsible for working collaboratively with other team members, analyzing HM current communication products, offering insight into content direction, troubleshooting issues and problem-solving when necessary, and working proactively to ensure both the team and stakeholders achieve goals and meet objectives. In addition, you may be responsible for executive communication, digital, web, and/or internal communications material or nursing communications as appropriate. The selected candidate may also translate scientific/medical information into language that can be understood by broad audiences.
- Acts as a liaison between Editing team and other marketing department teams (Service Line, Brand, Creative Services, Web/Digital, SPG, PCG, IT, Global, nursing communications or assigned HM department) to accept projects, assess scope and bandwidth, assign tasks and push a project though, from inception to completion. Identifies when the goals of different teams do not align and suggests solutions that satisfy all parties.
- Provides guidance for all audiences needing communications, including nursing, executives, digital or web as appropriate.
- Develops relationships with all audience, including nursing, executives, digital or web as appropriate. Asks questions, inspires others to think through requests and push back in a positive, productive manner.
- Works to ensure timely and effective content deployment at all times; meets deployment deadlines and ensures quick turnarounds in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Participates in the creation and streamlining of editorial processes, as well as developing and executing assigned marketing strategies. Coordinates with marketing leadership to ensure proper alignment on strategy priorities.
- Reviews updates to production copy – publishing/revising changes and escalating others to appropriate authority for consideration. May review material produced by more junior staff.
- Coordinates and facilitates content authorship and reviews with marketing team and outside stakeholders.
- Creates and delivers presentations to the team as well as to the broader marketing department.
- Assists content producers across the organization to develop strong copy that consistently maintains high standards and an accessible tone.
- Compiles biweekly project reports and distributes to entire marketing department team.
- Collaborates with setting standards and creating best practice guidelines for internal users, and ensures content conforms to established standards.
- Acts as a brand steward, ensuring all messaging, copy and other content is within brand voice and editorial guidelines.
- Assesses when projects should be kept in-house, both from a cost and resource perspective as well as a quality perspective
- Identifies problems as well as new opportunities in assigned production area, mentoring others on the team to achieve new goals and objectives.
- Stays abreast with the latest trends that impact audiences including nursing, executives, digital or web. Continuously apply learnings and best practices to improve efficiency of content development and deployment process.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication, English, Journalism, or related field
- Seven years in writing and/or editing
- Demonstrated skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Thorough knowledge of contemporary editorial and web practices
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational, communication and customer service
- Proficiency with Microsoft office applications and Adobe Creative Suite and other desktop publishing apps
- Ability to identify opportunities and propose solutions to make a project successful and satisfy stakeholders’ needs
- Detail-oriented expert in copy editing and copy writing, with an unerring ability to make writing better through meaningful revisions and fastidious corrections
- Professional writing experience in the area of web copywriting (if assigned to web-based products) and demonstrated proficiency in proofreading and copy editing skills, as well as strong editorial judgment
- Proficiency in Sitecore and HTML are preferred
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work both independently of and cooperatively with team members